5 Questions to Reflect
- Describe a time when you “just kept swimming” through tough times.
- As you reflect on that season of your life, what did you learn about yourself?
- Out of the 5 Ways to Grow Grit, what is one that you feel could really move your grittiness forward?
- Find Your Passion
- Practice and Practice Some More
- Find Purpose
- Have Hope
- Join a Gritty Group
- How are you actively building resilience in your leadership and life?
- How does the understanding that sometimes you just need to tough out the hard times help you think about thriving in the 5%?
5 Tips to Thrive – Toughness
- Talk to yourself this week. Intentionally. Positively. The next time you hear your self-doubt start to pipe up, audibly speak truth into your soul about what you know to be true and the impact that your greatest hopes and dreams will have on the world around you.
- For your next major event, lesson, meeting – go the extra mile in preparation. Focus on the little things – How do you want people to feel? How will you transition? How will you close the time and launch people to be great? After the event, reflect on the impact of your specific preparation.
- When you come across a challenge, consider putting it in writing – not to publish it, or even to share it; but to see if the process helps you position your thoughts in a way where you can lead through the issue with clarity.
- Ground yourself in hope. When you find yourself resorting back to the “worst possible scenario,” flip it to the “best possible scenario.” Reflect on the successes won, relationships built and those around you who believe in you.
- Think about what “toughing it out” means for you. Is it having the tough conversation instead of lamenting over it? Is it just finishing the tedious task instead of dreading it? Whatever “it” is, just do it.
5 Resources to Dig Deeper
- ARTICLE: Mark Travers – How to Tell if You are Mentally Tough
- VIDEO: Angela Duckworth – Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
- ASSESSMENT: Grit Scale Test
- ARTICLE: Erik Barker – 5 Research-Backed Ways to Increase Grit
- ARTICLE: Kira Newman – Five Science-Backed Strategies to Build Resilience: When the Road Gets Rocky, What Do You Do?
- BLOG: Jon Gordon – The Best Advice I’ve Ever Heard