5 Questions to Reflect
- Who is a leader in your life who leads from the heart?
- How is their impact different than other leaders you know?
- Think about an upcoming issue you’re working through… Describe “what” you’ll do. Now describe “how” and “why” you’ll do it. Is there a difference?
- What in this chapter has made you rethink your comfort and use of emotion in leadership?
- How does the understanding that we must lead from our hearts better help you think about thriving in the 5%?
5 Tips to Thrive
- Carve out 30 minutes a day to connect with the people in your organization. Stop at a campus as kids are walking in and pop in to every room just to say “Happy Monday.” Make a special point to ask about loved ones and make a personal connection.
- Put LOVE into action this week through the acronym we learned: Listen, be Open, be Vulnerable and show Empathy. Be intentional in your conversations to actively show that you care.
- Go about your day remembering that it’s not about you. Think about how you can serve the people around you, in big ways and small, and do it.
- Remember that you can hold people to a really high standard and make really difficult decisions and still show love. The next time you have to walk someone through a mistake, remember that it can be done in love and with dignity.
- As you lead this week, move your leadership 12 inches. Understand WHAT you want to accomplish with your mind, but then bring it down to HOW you will do it with your heart.
5 Resources to Dig Deeper
- VIDEO: Q&A with Bob Goff: Becoming an Authentic Leader – Craig Groeschel Leadership Podcast
- ARTICLE: Mark Nation – Leadership is a Four-Letter Word
- BOOK: Melinda Miller & Amber Teamann – Lead with Appreciation: Fostering a Culture of Appreciation
- ARTICLE: About Todd Gongwer’s Lead… for God’s Sake: A Parable for Finding the Heart of Leadership
- VIDEO: Inky Johnson – Sudden Change Ed 3:Adversity reveals Character!